Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fall Cards

  Happy Harvest!  I love Fall.  The only thing I don't like about it is that Winter follows and I don't like the cold weather or the bare trees.  Funny how much I enjoy seeing the leaves change color and watching them fall and I even enjoy raking them but I don't like the bare trees all that leaves behind.  I think I enjoy raking leaves is because we had so much fun with it when we were kids.  Not only did we rake huge piles to jump into and crawl and hide in, we raked piles into our play houses and raked roads from my sister's house to mine and then on to our other sister's "house".  It was great fun and filled many a Fall afternoon.  If you remember the picture I posted of  my house last week, the home I grew up in is just through the woods and also had a large yard with lots of trees so the leaves were ample.   

Anyway, these pretty cards are some of the swap cards I got at either the Birmingham or the Louisville Stampin' Up Regional meetings.  These all use the amazing 2-step set, Gently Falling.  I've seen so many beautiful Fall cards made with this set.  They are all great but I wanted to show a close up of 2 of the cards.  This great Fall card from my talented friend, Mary Robinson features a fun and easy technique where you stamp a background for your stamping with one of the clear blocks.  Just ink up the block without a stamp on it and stamp on your cardstock.  It leaves a nice shadow as a base for your focal image.  I love the Fall colors.  I reckon I might have told yall how much I like Fall, right?

The other card uses the masking technique.  Although it takes a little more time to get ready it is a relatively easy technique.  In this sample it requires a bit of cutting but once you have a mask cut out you can use it quite a few times so it is really worth the time.  This card was made by Janice Jones.  She stamped one of the leaves from the Gently Falling set onto a post-it note and cut it out.  Then she placed it on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock and sponged over it with Soft Suede and Pool Party ink.  The En Frances background stamp could be stamped before or after the sponging, just do it without the mask.  Layering the artwork on Soft Suede and Pool Party cardstock and tying a bit of torn Spice Cake fabric around it finishes off this card very nicely.  Fabric makes a nice, inexpensive bow on your stamping projects and I love that Stampin' Up has fabric to match some of it's Designer Series Paper.  It's great when they introduce products that makes our stamping easier and more versatile.

1 comment:

Mike and Wendy said...

I was just telling the kids today that we need to go to Grandma's so we can have a good pile of leaves to jump in. We raked a pile today, but it was pretty pathetic. All these pine trees don't make for much fun in the fall!