Thursday, December 16, 2010

Recipe Pages

I've been very busy the last few days.  Not only have I had the usual Christmas preparations, I joined a recipe swap with a twist.  It is an MDS digital recipe swap!  The book is going to be so pretty when it is finished.  It started out as a Christmas cookie swap but there is a variety of recipes that aren't all Christmas cookies.  I also volunteered to help some people who don't have the MDS program make their recipes.  I'll share a few of these pages with you today. 

First, the Chocolate Surprise cookies are one of my kid's favorite cookies I used to make at Christmas time.  The last time I made them I had trouble finding the Chocolate stars at the store.  I don't know if they still make them anymore but kisses would work too.  I used the Real Red polka dot DSP for the background and then did a layer of Whisper White but changed the opacity so it looks like vellum.  I did that partly because I like the look but also because it was hard to read the print on the red background.  I used the beautiful bird from A Cardinal Christmas stamp brush set.  I love that bird!  I also used a zig-zag stitch brush set at the top and bottom of the layout.  I added a black brad for his eye and a group of ribbon-tied buttons at the lower corner to finish it off. It might have taken me 20 minutes to finish the page.  I like quick and easy!


One of the pages I did for a demonstrator named Joanella Townsend was for Million Dollar Pie.  It sounds good, I'm afraid to try it because I'll eat so much of it!  I used the script background DSP and a frame from the Frames With a Flourish brush set around the whole recipe.  The bird is from the Friends 24-7 brush set.  I finished it off with a few brads. 
Julie's recipe for Gooey Butter Cookies sounds like another recipe that would be a favorite.  I used a floral background paper in Crushed Curry and added a layer of cardstock, then a scallop punch on each edge to make it look like the scallop square die.  I used the swirl stamp from the Baroque Motifs brush set, changed it to Crushed Curry and added a deep shadow, my favorite MDS technique right now.  A little ribbon across the top and some brads in Dusty Durango and done! 
Another recipe I did for Joanella was for Blueberry Crisp.  It sounds like a yummy recipe!  I used the polka dot DSP again, this time in Night of Navy.  Seemed blueberryish.  I also did the faux vellum layer to make the recipe easier to read.  I also "vellumized" the dotted scalloped borders around the outside and put a rhinestone brad at each corner to cover up where the 2 layers overlapped as well as on either side of the title.  I used the brush set from Friends 24-7 again for the berryish branch at the bottom and the pretty flower branch from the Thoughts and Prayers set.  My spell check goes nuts when I invent words!

I like the way the pages turned out.  I made 12 pages in all, whew!  Even though I used the same techniques on some of the pages they all turned out differently.  I can't wait to see what everyone else's pages look like.  I may share more in a few days.  I got my camera back tonight so I can take pictures of some projects to share again.  I sure missed my camera!

No comments: