Monday, October 19, 2009

Deals of the Week, Fall Corn Cards and blog candy winner

Whoo Hooo! Metal! I love metal embellishments and that is what is on sale this week, I'm so excited! I'll be stocking up, let me know if you want to order some too. Here is what the deals of the week for week #3 are:

Item # 114348 Catalog Page 179 - Basic Jumbo grommets
Regular $6.95, special $4.49
I need a couple of boxes of these! They are great for holding ribbon handles on the fun bags you can make with the Big Shot. There are 20 per package, 5 each of 4 colors; Whisper White, Basic Black, Silver and Very Vanilla
Item #109857 Catalog Page 179 - Mini Library clips
Regular $12.95, Special $8.99
These things are the cutest little dodads! The box holds 48 clips in 4 colors; Black, Silver, Antique Brass and Pewter.
Item #112571 Catalog Page 179 - Circle Designer brads
Regular $5.95, Special $3.99
This little box holds a great variety of brads, large and small. 16 pieces, 8 of each size.

Item #112581 Catalog Page 179 - 1/2" Library clips
Regular $6.95, Special $3.99
I love the colors in this package! It contains 28 clips, 8 of each of the 3 colors.
I saw this cool idea for corn on a blog somewhere (I should have noted where I saw it) where she had ran the cardstock through her diecut machine with a texture plate and made it into an ear of corn. The brands were different and I experimented with several of Stampin' Up's texture plates before I found one that had the look I wanted.
After running the Apricot Appeal cardstock through my Big Shot with the squares texturz plate I used Summer Sun, Pumpkin Pie and Old Olive ink and rubbed them directly across the textured paper. I hit some spots more with one ink pad than another so it would create Indian corn. I decided it needed some in the recessed areas so I rubbed More Mustard there and was satisfied with how it looked.
I punched "cobs" of corn using my Large Oval punch and also punched the "shucks" out of Old Olive cardstock. The card that I copied the corn from used the Small Oval punch so the squares she used were smaller. She used about 6 of them and formed them into a wreath for her card. Since my corn is bigger I decided to just put a couple of them on each card. Then it dawned on me that the grass from the Inspired By Nature stamp set would kind of look like corn stalks that I could use my ears of corn on. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.
I stamped the corn stalks on Very Vanilla Cardstock and then matted it on Old Olive cardstock. I adhered some Pumpkin Pie 1/4" ribbon around it and tied a knot of 5/8" Old Olive ribbon with another short lenght of Pumpkin Pie ribbon tied in with it. The Happy Thanksgiving greeting is from the Teeny Tiny Wishes set (I just love that set!) and is punched with the Modern Label punch and then matted on the insert die for the Movers and Shapers die. I love how those labels all co-ordinate with our punches so they are the perfect mats. It makes scrapbooking and card making so much quicker and easier.
The next card I made with my corn was for a sketch challenge for the Late Night Stampers (see owl on the sidebar). I used the maple leaves and acorns from the Autumn Harvest stamp set for the background. I used the Rock and Roll technique to make the 2-toned leaves. After applying a double matted band of Pumpkin Pie and Old Olive cardstock across the middle I added the Give Thanks sentiment from the Holiday Best set and an ear of corn on either side. I mounted the whole thing on Chocolate Chip cardstock.
So, since my corn in my garden didn't do well, I was pleased to see my paper corn doing a little better :~)
I was going to post the rest of the Christmas cards I got from the swap at the Fall Retreat today but decided I wanted to share my corny cards first. We will go back to Christmas cards tomorrow! I also drew a name for the blog candy. Ashley, you won! I'll get it in the mail before I leave for Gatlinburg for a weekend crop Thursday morning. I think I will see if I can figure out how to put a post on hold to be posted on Fri or Sat while I'm away. I've heard that these new-fangled things can do that. It just tickles me when I figure something like that out.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I agree with you Elaine...your cards are so much better looking than any corn we raised this year! Cute fall ideas!