Thursday, September 22, 2011

Masculine/Feminine Challenge

I recently took on a challenge to create a masculine and a feminine card using the same stamp set.  I used one of my new favorites from the new catalog, So Soft for the floral image and the birthday stamps came from the Happiest Birthday Wishes set.  Both are the sets you can earn with the new and improved hostess benefits.  Have you looked at the new hostess program? Now if you have a workshop that goes over $400 you get to choose any item (including the Big Shot!) for half price.  Add just another 100 for a $500 workshop and you get 2 half price items!  There are some of the largest dies I would like and a really large Decor Elements tree I would like to get for half price.  If you want to rack up on half price items, give me a holler and we will get a workshop going for you! 


Oh yes, back to the card.  I used a technique that may have a name but I don't know what it is but I really like it.  LMK if you know what it is called so I can update my post with it.  You simply stamp and color your image, cut it into several pieces, sponge the edges and reassemble it onto a cardstock mat.  I love how the Crumb Cake card looks antique. 

I also used the new Lace Ribbon Border punch on the blue card and threaded some Old Olive Satin Ribbon through it.  That punch makes a great border.  That just wouldn't do for a man's card so I used a little bit of the Hemp Twine around the sentiment for the brown card.  Which one do you like best? 

This picture is of the hearse that carried the casket for a funeral I attended today.  It was very sad really, a group of Bikers Who Care had a rally last weekend for their annual toy run.  It was a hugely successful fund raiser this year and they collected 4 truckloads of toys for needy children!  They were camping out during the rally and the last night the generator wasn't hooked up right to one camper and 5 people in that camper were killed.  One was the son of some good friends that I have known all my life.  He was a great guy, eager to help out whenever he was needed and father to 3 children, the youngest is 9. 
This is what a motorcycle hearse looks like.  I wish I could have gotten a better picture but it was a beautiful sunny day here so there was a bit of a glare.

 
Let me tell you, the Bikers Who Care are an amazing group of people!  They came to support Timmy in huge numbers.  I don't know an exact count but there must have been at least 1000 people who came to the viewing last night, more then half of them on motorcycles and in Harley gear.  There were probably about 800 people there for the funeral today, much more than half were bikers.  And all of the bikers went to Timmy's funeral at 10 and then on to one of the other funerals at 1. 

What an emotional day!  Driving in the procession, I was touched by the display of respect throughout the community.  People were standing in front of their businesses with their hands over their hearts as we drove by.  Fire trucks were parked all along the route with the firemen in front paying their respects.  People stopped their cars to let us go by, some of them got out of their cars and stood with their hands over their hearts.  One man even stopped mowing his lawn and stood by his mower.

Perhaps the saddest funeral will be on Saturday when a young husband and wife who died will be buried in a double ceremony.  They have 15 month old twin boys.  She was an elementary school teacher.  I didn't know them so I won't be there but I know that will be a hard funeral for their family.

Sooooo, hug your kids, parents, brothers and sisters and tell them you love them!  Families are forever but we sure miss them when they go before us. 

No comments: